It’s only a few short days before EMBER FALLS‘ debut is finally released! The band has had a long road since their inception as MEKANISM, with a change in vocalist and the addition of bassist Olli “Oswald” Heino so that Mikko “OneOfHaze” McMenamin could switch to keyboards. Now, with all of the old MEKANISM songs working their way out of their live setlists, the band is ready to start again with their new moniker, and their debut as such, “Welcome to Ember Falls.” In high anticipation for its Friday release, here is the playlist of Mikko McMenamin‘s life!
1. The first song you remember hearing as a child
Probably one of the lullabies that my mum used to sing to us. My dad is a huge Celtic fan (a Scottish football team) so I’m pretty sure I was also indoctrinated into singing Celtic fan anthems as soon as I was able to make noise.
2. The first song you can recall ever really and truly loving
It has to be HOT BUTTER’s “Popcorn.” I must’ve listened to it over a thousand times, sometimes testing how loud our speakers can go. The funky electronic sounds and memorable synth lines impressed me already as a young boy.
3. A song that you loved as a teenager/reminds you of high school
“In the End” by LINKIN PARK. As a teenager, their sound and delivery hit me hard. I think their craftsmanship as songwriters and musicians has always been top notch.
4. The song or band that got you into metal music (or the current genre you play in)
It started out with RAMMSTEIN, LINKIN PARK, EVANESCENCE, and DISTURBED, and has evolved from there. In recent years I’ve enjoyed FIVE FINGER DEATH PUNCH, SLIPKNOT, AMARANTHE, NIGHTWISH, ASKING ALEKSANDRIA, KILLSWITCH ENGAGE, BRING ME THE HORIZON, TURMION KÄTILÖT, and ARION. As you can probably tell, my taste of heavier music leans on the industrial/melodic side of rock and metal. I feel EMBER FALLS fits well into that continuum.
5. The most recent song to get stuck in your head
I’ve been listening to a lot of trance lately and the ones looping in my head right now are “Mega” by Super8 & Tab, and “Unbreakable” by Aly & Fila. I’m having a dry season of rock and metal songs to listen to. I’m open to suggestions!
6. Your guilty pleasure song/band
Really almost anything from the ’90s/early ’00s mainstream. I want it that way! Although I don’t really care about what others think of my music taste, so I guess no guilt to be found here.
7. The first album you bought with your own money/the first album you were really excited to own
I think it was BOMFUNK MC’s “In Stereo.” I could’ve done worse.
8. A song that makes you want to curl up on the couch with a hot beverage
“May it Be” by ENYA.
9. A song to blast at full volume while you’re on the road
“Redneck” by LAMB OF GOD. I’ve blown my voice a few times “singing” along to it when driving.
10. The song you’d most like to be played at your funeral
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE – “Bombtrack.” Burn, burn, yes ya gonna burn!
Interview by Bear Wiseman
Interview with Volymian: “One single-celled being showed us that despite all we’ve achieved, we’re not necessarily at the top of the food chain after all.”