Once upon a time, Juha Raivio and Pasi Pasanen started a band that today is known as SWALLOW THE SUN. Nowadays, Pasanen has moved on from STS, but you can still hear his precise drumming style in RED ELEVEN, and we certainly can’t complain about the move, as RED ELEVEN have proven themselves to be extremely competent in the alternative/grunge/metal music field. Today we have the playlist of his life for you!
1. The first song you remember hearing as a child
I think it was some song by Elvis. I remember my dad listening to it often at home when I was a kid.
2. The first song you can recall ever really and truly loving
“Avatar” by DEAD CAN DANCE. My sister gave me a cassette copy of “Spleen & Ideal” sometime back in ’86 or something.
3. A song that you loved as a teenager/reminds you of high school
Can’t say any particular song, but I think something from either KREATOR, S.O.D., ACID REIGN, NUCLEAR ASSAULT, or DEATH; those were a big thing for me at that time.
The first song that comes to my mind is “Love Us or Hate Us” by KREATOR.
4. The song or band that got you into metal music (or the current genre you play in)
Some of the bands in the previous answer, maybe S.O.D. Still, DEATH is the metal band that struck me in awe mostly. Still does.
5. The most recent song to get stuck in your head
“Bleed it Dry” by ALTER BRIDGE and “Clockworks” by MESHUGGAH, playing equally loud in my head; been listening to these albums a lot lately.
6. Your guilty pleasure song/band
Haha, the duet with Eminem & Rihanna! Don’t remember the name of the song. [ed: either “Love the Way You Lie” or “Monster”]
7. The first album you bought with your own money/the first album you were really excited to own
“Creatures of the Night” by KISS, a cassette album. I remember taking it out with me to show it to my friends.
8. A song that makes you want to curl up on the couch with a hot beverage
“God is an Astronaut” – DARK RIFT; a very atmospheric song to listen to lying on your couch, preferably in the dark.
9. A song to blast at full volume while you’re on the road
MESHUGGAH – “Soul Burn”
10. The song you’d most like to be played at your funeral
“Schwabadaba ding ding” by Jouko & Kosti
Interview by Bear Wiseman
(2003) Linkin Park – Meteora: Anniversary Special
Interview with …And Oceans — “You can feel that the last album is very present.”
Ukrainian Metal Upstarts IGNEA Release Cinematic Second Single, “Dunes”
Interview with Orbit Culture — “You don’t want to be that band who’s better on record than live.”
GALLERY: 18.3.2023 Maaliskuun Musta Messu V @ Sammiosali, Lahti
Symphonic Metal Icons SIRENIA to Release New Album, “1977,“ on May 26, 2023
Finnish KAKSONEN release new music after 10 year hiatus
REVIEW: Shores of Null – The Loss of Beauty
18.3.2023 Maaliskuun Musta Messu V @ Sammiosali, Lahti
Interview with Marianas Rest — “It shouted more contrast and more black and white.”