Swedish melodic death metal pioneers AT THE GATES release new music video for “Cosmic Pessimism” off their latest studio album, “The Nightmare of Being,” today. Check out the video, directed by Costin Chioreanu / Twilight 13 Media, HERE.
“’Cosmic Pessimism’ is one of the central tracks of the new record. Not only drawing the title from the Eugene Thacker book of the same name, the lyrics actually are written by Eugene himself. This is something I am very proud of, the collaboration with one of the central figures when it comes to modern-day pessimism and the idea of how it correlates to cosmic horror. It is a suffocatingly strict and repetitive song, and it displays the mood of the lyrics brilliantly, in my opinion. AT THE GATES have always been fans of anything eclectic and extreme, and we are finally at a moment in our career where we feel comfortable lifting in some of these, more avant-garde influences within the AT THE GATES trademark sound. Minimalistic neo-classical influences here clash with the Deutsche rock/”kraut” and no wave sounds that we love so much. The video is once again shot by Costin, our longtime collaborator, and, once again, he managed to add extra depth and texture to the music and lyrics,” states AT THE GATES vocalist Tomas Lindberg Redant about “Cosmic Pessimism.”
Most recently, AT THE GATES have released a four-part track by track video series with Decibel Magazine, where Tomas Lindberg Redant expands upon the literature and philosophy that underpin “The Nightmare of Being.” Watch each episode below:
- Episode 1/4: https://youtu.be/zz-EXLfmxSo
- Episode 2/4: https://youtu.be/lpgfRnKv2Xw
- Episode 3/4: https://youtu.be/2e_zCen2lvU
- Episode 4/4: https://youtu.be/e5sa_FUm0aQ
In other news, AT THE GATES will finally be hitting stages again to promote “The Nightmare Of Being,” starting today for their Scandinavian tour. Check out a list of upcoming tour dates below.
AT THE GATES Tour Dates:
- 02.12.2021 Uppsala (Sweden) – Katalin
- 03.12.2021 Norrköping (Sweden) – Dynamo
- 04.12.2021 Karlstad (Sweden) – Nöjesfabriken
- 07.12.2021 Göteborg (Sweden) – Trägårn
- 08.12.2021 Oslo (Norway) – John Dee
- 09.12.2021 Stockholm (Sweden) – Slaktkyrkan
- 10.12.2021 Huskvarna (Sweden) – Folkets Park
- 11.12.2021 Gävle (Sweden) – Gefle Metal Winter fest
- 03.02.2022 Kalmar (Sweden) – Kalmarsalen
- 04.02.2022 Malmö (Sweden) – KB
- 05.02.2022 Fredericia (Denmark) – Metal Magic Winter Festival
- 14.06.2022 Erica (The Netherlands) – Pit Fest
- 17.06.2022 Clisson (France) – Hellfest
- 23.06.2022 Nummijärvi (Finland) – Nummirock Festival
- 25.06.2022 Cartagena / Murcia (Spain) – Rock Imperium Festival
- 06.-09.07.2022 Ballenstedt (Germany) – RockHarz Festival
- 15.07.2022 Gävle (Sweden) – Gefle Metal Festival
- 16.07.2022 Anyksciai (Lithuania) – Devilstone Festival
- 21.-23.07.2022 Vila Nova de Famalicão (Portugal) – Laurus Nobilis Music Fest
- 09.-13.08.2022 Jaromer (Czech Republic) – Brutal Assault Open Air
AT THE GATES‘ “The Nightmare Of Being” landed impressing chart entries worldwide upon initial release in July, such as: Germany: # 8, Austria: # 18, Switzerland: # 12, Sweden: # 20, Sweden (Physical): # 1, Sweden (Vinyl): # 1, Sweden (Hardrock/Metal): # 2, The Netherlands: # 77, Belgium: # 84, Finland: # 21, Finland (Physical): # 5, UK (Rock): # 3, USA (Current Hard Music Albums): #1, USA (Current Rock Albums): #4, USA (Current Album Sales): #14. USA (Album Sales): #28.
AT THE GATES is Adrian Erlandsson (drums), Jonas Björler (bass), Tomas Lindberg Redant (vocals), Jonas Stålhammar (guitar), and Martin Larsson (guitar).
Follow AT THE GATES: