If you’re looking for a little something different in your folk music, you might turn your eyes toward VALKEAT, a young Finnish band who has built a unique sound around the traditional Finnish kantele. With diverse and interesting lyrics, and wonderful music combined with lighter vocals, these young Finns have the potential to turn a new page in the folk scene. This week we have vocalist Miikka Virtapuro‘s playlist for you!
1. The first song you remember hearing as a child
I really have to dig deep here… the first memories I have of a band are FRÖÖBELIN PALIKAT, a Finnish children’s music band. I had their VHS tape and was rocking my ass off back then in front of a TV; “Sutsisatsi” was the first song that came to mind.
2. The first song you can recall ever really and truly loving
First one I really got obsessed with was “Walking in the Air” by NIGHTWISH. That one really made me feel something music had never made me feel before.
3. A song that you loved as a teenager/reminds you of high school
ENSIFERUM – “Old Man.” With that song I discovered folk metal and there was no turning back. Seems like things have really gone full circle, now that we are rocking the electric kantele. Wow, I actually have never thought about this before…
4. The song or band that got you into metal music (or the current genre you play in)
NIGHTWISH, STRATOVARIUS, and SONATA ARCTICA got me into metal music. After that, ENSIFERUM, WINTERSUN, and MOONSORROW got me into folk metal.
5. The most recent song to get stuck in your head
ALCEST – “Souvenirs D’Un Autre Monde.” God, that’s one insanely beautiful song!
6. Your guilty pleasure song/band
I don’t have any; if I like it I listen to it. As a teenager I was a guy only listening to metal and film soundtracks, but nowadays I also enjoy lots of different genres, like synthwave or pop punk, for example. We shouldn’t limit ourselves to just one genre of music, especially as musicians. We become really one-dimensional and copycat-like if we don’t draw from other genres.
7. The first album you bought with your own money/the first album you were really excited to own
ENSIFERUM‘s 10th Anniversary Live DVD! I still remember going to buy it at Finnish shopping center Sello in Leppävaara!
8. A song that makes you want to curl up on the couch with a hot beverage
“Fjara” by SÓLSTAFIR.
9. A song to blast at full volume while you’re on the road
KVELERTAK – “Kvelertak.” One does not simply listen to that song with a low volume.
10. The song you’d most like to be played at your funeral
MOONSORROW – “Matkan lopussa” or “Hammerheart” by BATHORY, I’d think. A friend of mine passed away recently, and those were the songs that helped me cope with all the emotions.
Interview by Bear Wiseman