It’s easy to get caught up in music from North America and Europe, but every once in a while, it’s nice to walk around the other parts of the world to see what there is to offer. LEATHERJACKS are a hard rock/heavy metal project straight out of São Paulo, Brazil, and today we have the playlist of founder and multi-instrumentalist Mauro Cordeiro‘s life to share with you.
1. The first song you remember hearing as a child
SURVIVOR – “Eye of the Tiger”; I was 4 to 5 years old and my mom was addicted to a movie soundtrack collection and she always used to listen to that one.
2. The first song you can recall ever really and truly loving
I really love IRON MAIDEN‘s “Revelations.” It’s simply beautiful!
3. A song that you loved as a teenager/reminds you of high school
Many songs from “Seventh Son of a Seventh Son” (IRON MAIDEN) and “Cryptic Writings” (MEGADETH). I used to go to school with my nylon guitar at 13 years old, in 1999. We used to gather after school, to play along. There were two other guitarists mates in my classroom so we used to gather at the class break and then after the school, to play together and study. Great times!
4. The song or band that got you into metal music (or the current genre you play in)
When I first heard IRON MAIDEN‘s “The Trooper” on a Brazilian MTV show called Fúria MTV, I got totally into metal. It was like the pre-Mauro and the post-Mauro, so to say, haha! A lifetime opportunity. And I got it. I told myself, “THIS is what I want to do.”
5. The most recent song to get stuck in your head
I sing three songs almost everyday: “Holy Diver” by Dio, “Mountain Mama” by GOTTHARD, and “Stormbringer” by DEEP PURPLE. They’re really stuck in my head everyday, haha!
6. Your guilty pleasure song/band
Some bands like LESS THAN JAKE, reggae and ska stuff… I love it! But not everybody in metal does!
7. The first album you bought with your own money/the first album you were really excited to own
The first album I bought with my own money was a GOTTHARD DVD (“Made in Switzerland”) in 2017. The album I was really excited to own was “Piece of Mind” by IRON MAIDEN, which I got in 1999 as a birthday gift.
8. A song that makes you want to curl up on the couch with a hot beverage
“Is This love” from WHITESNAKE FOR SURE! So emotional, so involving!
9. A song to blast at full volume while you’re on the road
I’d totally say DEEP PURPLE – “Burn” and also JUDAS PRIEST – “The Sentinel.”
10. The song you’d most like to be played at your funeral
“Eye of the Tiger” for sure… it’s like an ending cycle.
Interview by Bear Wiseman
Interview Phantom Elite – “It’s always good to share that feeling that none of us is alone in hard times”