When we mention DAKESIS, you may not immediately know who we’re talking about, and that’s a shame. This group of English progressive power metallers have proven to be a worthy new band to check out and are a great live act. You may have even seen them in Finland or the UK recently with THUNDERSTONE! Today we have the playlist of vocalist Gemma Lawler‘s life for you!
1. The first song you remember hearing as a child
It would be something like WHAM! My mum was real big on ’80s pop.
2. The first song you can recall ever really and truly loving
If I wanted to give a marginally cool answer, it would probably be something by QUEEN (I swore I was going to marry Freddie Mercury when I grew up!), but the very first was probably the B side on Kylie & Jason’s “Especially for You” called “All I Wanna Do is Make You Mine”; I wore that side of the vinyl completely out!
3. A song that you loved as a teenager/reminds you of high school
SUBLIME – “Santeria.” I still play it on the first sunny day of spring every year and I’m right back there in nostalgia-land!
4. The song or band that got you into metal music (or the current genre you play in)
I lingered on the fringes of prog/power metal for a while, but it was SYMPHONY X – “Smoke and Mirrors” that sealed the deal. Our bass player Amie had brought “Twilight in Olympus” over for a mutual friend to borrow but he didn’t much bite it… I heard that intro riff and was hooked forever!
5. The most recent song to get stuck in your head
THUNDERSTONE – “Through The Pain.” Annoyingly catchy!
6. Your guilty pleasure song/band
Andrew WK – “Party Hard” =D
7. The first album you bought with your own money/the first album you were really excited to own
I seriously nerded out with a much treasured copy of Tchaikovsky’s “The Nutcracker Suite” that I had begged my parents for.
8. A song that makes you want to curl up on the couch with a hot beverage
AGALLOCH’s “The Mantle” album or anything by ALCEST.
9. A song to blast at full volume while you’re on the road
MOTÖRHEAD – “Bomber” when you’re running late or SYMPHONY X – “The Odyssey” when you’ve got hours to kill!
10. The song you’d most like to be played at your funeral
MANOWAR – “Fight for Freedom.” I have it all planned out, Matt [Jones – DAKESIS guitarist] is going to jump out in a loincloth and play the solo atop my coffin.
Interview by Bear Wiseman
Sabaton Releases “Steel Commanders” on all streaming platforms + Unveil new lyric video for the track