Devin Townsend is a man who needs no introduction. This Canadian heavy metal superhero has been around the block, singing with Steve Vai, setting new standards for heavy with STRAPPING YOUNG LAD, taking progressive sounds to another level with OCEAN MACHINE, imbuing country music with haunted sounds via CASUALTIES OF COOL, and teaching the world the importance of coffee with the help of Ziltoid the Omniscient! The DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT is releasing a new album, “Transcendence,” on September 2nd, so naturally we had to get a playlist from the man himself for the occasion! Here is the playlist of Devin Townsend‘s life!
1. The first song you remember hearing as a child
I don’t know the name, but my mother had a steel music box that would play a classical piece. It was in a minor key and was haunting as it wound down…
2. The first song you can recall ever really and truly loving
“I’m Alright” by Kenny Loggins… there were many before, but that’s the one that got my blood pumping first I think =)
3. A song that you loved as a teenager/reminds you of high school
“Run Runaway” by SLADE. That song blew my mind as an early teen.
4. The song or band that got you into metal music (or the current genre you play in)
If I am being honest, either MOTÖRHEAD or JUDAS PRIEST. I think METALLICA may have been equally as influential, but that came a bit later
5. The most recent song to get stuck in your head
“Baby Monkey (Going Backwards on a Pig)” by Parry Gripp
[ed: we felt this might require elaboration…]
6. Your guilty pleasure song/band
I feel no guilt about my listening. Bring on the EIFFEL 65 and AQUA!
7. The first album you bought with your own money/the first album you were really excited to own
The original motion picture soundtrack from Star Wars.
8. A song that makes you want to curl up on the couch with a hot beverage
“Exile” by Enya
9. A song to blast at full volume while you’re on the road
“Backbone” by GOJIRA
10. The song you’d most like to be played at your funeral
Interview by Bear Wiseman
Dead End Scene otti Bond-hitin raskaaseen käsittelyyn – Suitsutetun yhtyeen debyyttilevyn äänitykset on saatu päätökseen
St. Auroralta raskas kakkossingle Rejects of Society – “Tappelin tyttöystävän kanssa yksiössä koronan aikaan ja biisiin tulikin tuplabasarit.”