Hailing from the southern coast of Finland, Kotka-based END OF AEON has delivered their atmospheric doom metal since 2011 and has attracted praise from both journalists and audience with their sophomore full-length “Through Infant Eyes,” released in February of 2016. As the band states, the album “offers a wide scale of various elements between beautiful melodies and dark sounds from the other side.” Their vocalist, Sara Strömmer, who also does vocal coaching for members of bands like BRYMIR, CRIMSON SUN, and FEAR OF DOMINATION, is the next to share the playlist of her life with us!
1. The first song you remember hearing as a child
Does a lullaby count? Let say it was Mireille Mathieu’s “Non, je ne regrette rien” and this was from a vinyl because my parents used to listen to them in the ’90s.
2. The first song you can recall ever really and truly loving
This is something! I remember those long nights as a kid listening to a crappy radio and there was George Michael‘s “Careless Whisper” playing like hundreds of times during the night. Worked every time until I fell asleep.
3. A song that you loved as a teenager/reminds you of high school
That was a bit darker time for me because I was bullied in school and had a bit rough teenage years. So I listened a lot of KORN, especially the songs “Blind” and “System.”
4. The song or band that got you into metal music (or the current genre you play in)
It was multiple artists at the same time so I would say CHILDREN OF BODOM, LINKIN PARK, and PRODIGY. All the artists you could see in MTV Music!
5. The most recent song to get stuck in your head
Recently I’ve been listening to Adele’s “Hello” and HALESTORM‘s “I Am the Fire.”
6. Your guilty pleasure song/band
Justin Bieber. Guilty.
7. The first album you bought with your own money/the first album you were really excited to own
Oh dear! We were in Russia in a pirate CD shop and I bought EVANESCENCE and HIM from there. But still the very album that is closest to my heart is LINKIN PARK‘s “Reanimated.”
8. A song that makes you want to curl up on the couch with a hot beverage
Depends on the time of the year but let say BLACK SUN AEON “A Song for the Winter” or “A Song for My Funeral.”
9. A song to blast at full volume while you’re on the road
Anneke Van Giersbergen – “We Live On”
10. The song you’d most like to be played at your funeral
Well, it’s quite depressing to think of my own funeral. Nevertheless, I’ve always wanted to encourage people to perform and express themselves. So it would mean the world to me if my friends and beloved ones would perform songs of their own making, not some ready-made shit.
Interview by Bear Wiseman
Interview Phantom Elite – “It’s always good to share that feeling that none of us is alone in hard times”