SWALLOW THE SUN hardly needs any introduction, as one of the leaders of the Finnish doom metal scene, with such great albums as “Hope,” “Emerald Forest and the Blackbird,” and the more recent “Songs of the North I, II, and III.” Their keyboardist, Aleksi Munter, is our next guest, and here is the playlist of his life!
1. The first song you remember hearing as a child
I have no idea, really.
2. The first song you can recall ever really and truly loving
DINGO‘s “Autiotalo,” though in hindsight “Valkoiset Tiikerit” from them probably made a bigger impression
3. A song that you loved as a teenager/reminds you of high school
QUEEN‘s “Breakthru.” In general their “Innuendo” and both of the “Greatest Hits”
4. The song or band that got you into metal music (or the current genre you play in)
IRON MAIDEN, and curiously, their worst album to that date, “No Prayer for the Dying”
5. The most recent song to get stuck in your head
Recently it’s been “World in My Eyes” by DEPECHE MODE, non-stop
6. Your guilty pleasure song/band
Recently, certainly Kanye West, though that’ll probably wear off
7. The first album you bought with your own money/the first album you were really excited to own
The first album I paid money for – though wasn’t too impressed – was Don Johnson‘s “Heartbeat,” bought it from my sister just because I had just gotten a vinyl player but had nothing to play
8. A song that makes you want to curl up on the couch with a hot beverage
Everything from Miles Davis‘ “Kind of Blue,” and the beverage need not be hot
9. A song to blast at full volume while you’re on the road
On the road, usually nothing at full volume, there’s enough of noise as is
10. The song you’d most like to be played at your funeral
I really don’t know, and probably at that point I won’t care much. As long as it’s not shit.
Interview by Bear Wiseman
Interview Phantom Elite – “It’s always good to share that feeling that none of us is alone in hard times”