If you’re looking for something new to listen to, and the concept of “melodic divorce metal” appeals to you, you might turn your attention to HEROES DON’T ASK WHY, who were formed in 2015. Their self-titled debut EP was released in December 2016, and today Playlist of My Life returns with a contribution from their drummer, Kimmo Puhakka.
1. The first song you remember hearing as a child
I’ve been listening to heavy music my whole life. I think the first heavy metal song that I heard was “The Prisoner” by IRON MAIDEN from “The Number of the Beast” album. The year was about 1982 I think.
2. The first song you can recall ever really and truly loving
It is very difficult to just pick one song, because this world is full of great songs. But, here’s one: “Rime of the Ancient Mariner” by IRON MAIDEN, and it is one of my favorite songs. Ohh, now I remember… the Dallas theme. That’s it. My all time favorite TV-series.
3. A song that you loved as a teenager/reminds you of high school
There are plenty of songs that reminds me of my teenage years: “18 And Life” by SKID ROW, “Holy Diver” by Dio, “Last in Line” by Dio, “Spell of Iron” by TAROT, and every IRON MAIDEN song from the ’80-’90s. At the end of the ’80s I started listening to a Finnish band called PEER GÜNT that I still listen to a lot. Same with the others.
4. The song or band that got you into metal music (or the current genre you play in)
The first true contact as a drummer came by the Finnish all time metal legend, STONE. I was about 12-13 years old then. I still listen to that band quite a lot. When I became an adult, I started listening to CHILDREN OF BODOM too.
5. The most recent song to get stuck in your head
It is “Dead To Me” by CYHRA from their debut album that came out this year. The lead vocals are nice and Jesper Strömblad [ex-IN FLAMES] and Euge Valovirta [ex-SHINING] play great guitar riffs in that song. The chorus crowns it.
6. Your guilty pleasure song/band
Hehe… I’ve got few of those, but I think my guilty pleasures are “Runaway” by BON JOVI and “Rio” by DURAN DURAN.
7. The first album you bought with your own money/the first album you were really excited to own
I think it was IRON MAIDEN‘s album, “The Number of the Beast” or Dio‘s album, “Holy Diver.” I really don’t remember. It was a very long time ago. My bandmates laugh at me because now and then I like to look back at the ’80s.
8. A song that makes you want to curl up on the couch with a hot beverage
Hmm… quite difficult question, but… “Let Her In” by PEER GÜNT. It’s a song that runs like a train through the whole song.
9. A song to blast at full volume while you’re on the road
There are many of those but here’s a few. If we go on the metal line, “Bullet Ride” by IN FLAMES, “Icaros” by DIABLO, “You Want a Battle Here’s a War” by BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE, and every song by SOILWORK and CHILDREN OF BODOM. It’s impossible to just choose one song, because they both have so many great songs.
10. The song you’d most like to be played at your funeral
“The Sign” by the Finnish band, YÖ.
Interview by Bear Wiseman