Founded in 2006, FEAR OF DOMINATION is known for their heavy blend of shock/industrial metal, painted faces, and strong performances. With three or so albums under their belt already, the band released “Atlas” in the late spring of 2016. We’re a bit behind on the release, but we’re happy to now share the playlist of guitarist Jan-Erik Kari‘s life for you!
1. The first song you remember hearing as a child
I can’t remember any certain one song but it has to be something from METALLICA or David Bowie since my big brother and big sister used to listen to them a lot when I was little.
2. The first song you can recall ever really and truly loving
“Nothing Else Matters” from METALLICA was the first but WINTERSUN’s “Death and the Healing” really hit me. An old and dear friend of mine introduced me to the song when I was having a rough time back then. It still gives me goosebumps.
3. A song that you loved as a teenager/reminds you of high school
RAPTORI definitely! It played a lot in those junior discos. Fun, catchy, and not-so-serious. It is still fun to listen to them and I (and many others of my age) remember tons of their lyrics.
4. The song or band that got you into metal music (or the current genre you play in)
There are actually four bands that got me into rock and metal. My “personal BIG4” consists of METALLICA, STRATOVARIUS, KLAMYDIA, and AC/DC. They were all equally part of teaching me the “dark arts of rock ’n roll.” Big thanks to my big brother for the conversion.
5. The most recent song to get stuck in your head
“Danger Zone” by Kenny Loggins. Because Archer. No further explanation needed. LANAAAAAA!
6. Your guilty pleasure song/band
I don’t really have any guilty pleasure songs or bands since I openly listen to anything from STEEN1 to BEHEMOTH, from Ke$ha to MOTÖRHEAD, and from Topi Sorsakoski to Parov Stelar. Anything goes and my friends keep being surprised of my playlists.
But for the sake of the question, let’s say LITTLE BIG, the Russian equivalent of DIE ANTWOOD.
7. The first album you bought with your own money/the first album you were really excited to own
Believe it or not but it was “Before the Storm” by DARUDE. Still got it in my shelf…
8. A song that makes you want to curl up on the couch with a hot beverage
The piano version of “Crucify My Heart” from LULLACRY. I just love it…
9. A song to blast at full volume while you’re on the road
Any song from MOTÖRHEAD works the magic but “Ace of Spades” is my choice!
10. The song you’d most like to be played at your funeral
“Lintu” by Timo Rautiainen & Trio Niskalaukaus. That song can really make a grown man cry.
Interview by Eliza Rask
Interview Phantom Elite – “It’s always good to share that feeling that none of us is alone in hard times”