If you think of metal in the UK, you probably immediately think of BLACK SABBATH, IRON MAIDEN, MOTÖRHEAD, JUDAS PRIEST, or SAXON. True, metal music as we know it today wouldn’t be the same without them. Kudos! But the metal scene in the land of Brits is way broader and more complex. Today we have one fine example of it, namely NEONFLY. Hailing straight from the capital of Albion, they have played for around a decade now, creating some damn catchy and melodic metal compositions, while always providing crowds with a great show. Thus today their guitarist, Frederick Thunder kindly shared playlist of his life with us.
1. The first song you remember hearing as a child
Probably Jordi – “Dur dur d’être bébé”; Not only was he a worldwide phenomenon when he came out, but being a French child, there’s no way you could avoid that.
2. The first song you can recall ever really and truly loving
MECANO – “Barco a Venus”; I lived in Spain as a child and MECANO were one of the most popular bands at the time. They were the first band that I consciously remember thinking was my favorite band. I loved the keyboard melody on that song and the lyrics, which I didn’t quite understand the meaning of as a child but sounded really mysterious.
3. A song that you loved as a teenager/reminds you of high school
There are so many songs that remind me of my teens. I lived in Mexico during that time, so it seems fitting that I choose a Mexican band, for example: El gran silencio – “Dormir soñando”
4. The song or band that got you into metal music (or the current genre you play in)
Without a doubt: IRON MAIDEN – “2 Minutes to Midnight”
5. The most recent song to get stuck in your head
Calvin Harris & Disciples – “How Deep is Your Love”
6. Your guilty pleasure song/band
I’ve never felt guilty for the music I love at any given time.
7. The first album you bought with your own money/the first album you were really excited to own
Again, without a doubt, IRON MAIDEN – “Best of the Beast.” My first metal album, first MAIDEN album, which I listened to non-stop for a whole year, and saved up for, for about a year also. I originally wanted to own that album because of the cover, after seeing it on a record store. Sometime later I heard “2 Minutes to Midnight” on the radio, which sounded like nothing I’d ever heard before, and it confirmed that I needed to own that album!
8. A song that makes you want to curl up on the couch with a hot beverage
I’m not the curling-up-on–the-couch-with-a-hot-beverage kind of person.
9. A song to blast at full volume while you’re on the road
Tiny Tim – “Living in the Sunlight, Lovin’ in the Moonlight”
10. The song you’d most like to be played at your funeral
This is something I have actually thought about many times before, and there are 2: NEONFLY – “Falling Star” and BLUE ÖYSTER CULT – “Don’t Fear the Reaper.”
Interview by Maria Sawicka
Interview Phantom Elite – “It’s always good to share that feeling that none of us is alone in hard times”